Deepawali or Diwali is the biggest festival of Hindus. Diwali is also known as the “Festival of Lights”. Deepawali is the five days long festival. Diwali means the “Row of Lights” or “Row of Diyas”.
Deepawali is celebrated on Amavasya; last day of Hindu month Aswin and the first day of Hindu month Kartik. It starts with Dhanteras and ends with Bhai Dooj festival. Diwali is celebrated to get wealth, health, success and happiness in life.
Diwali Date: 23/10/2014 (23 October 2014)
The period of 2 hour 24 minutes after sun set is known as Pradosh Kal. It’s considered good and fortunate to do Laxmi Pujan or Diwali Puja.
Vrishabha Kaal = 18:56 to 20:52
Amavasya Tithi Ends = 03:26 on 24/Oct/2014
Laxmi/Lakshmi Pooja Diwali 2014
Lakshami Puja is performed on Diwali, in the evening, this time is also known as Pradosh kaal. All family members join together at home and start puja
Diwali Puja Samagri/Kit
- Abhishek Patra
- Akshata (Rice Grains mixed with Kumkum) – (250 gms)
- Ashtagandha (Scented Orange Powder)
- Bataashe, Khaand ke Khilone, Sweets
- Betel leaves, betel nuts
- Cash Register/Accounts Books
- Chandan (Sandlewood)
- Cloth 2 mtr white and red (each)
- Coins’ Bag
- Cotton wicks
- Dhoop, Agarbati
- Dry Fruits, Flowers including Lotus
- Flower Garland (For murti & photos of dieties used in pooja)
- Fruits of 5 types (Mango, Banana, Apple, Orange, Grapes, Pear, Peach etc…)
- Ghanta – bell
- Gold and/or Silver coin embossed with picture of Goddess Lakshmi, new Currency notes
- Handy towel
- Ink Pot (Black)
- Janve Jod (Pair of Holy thread)
- Jewelleries -golden/silver articles (if available)
- Karpoor, Nariyal (coconut with water) and Gola
- Kesar, Sindoor, Kumkum
- Kheel, Loung, choti Elaichi, mango tree leaves
- Lakshmi and Ganesha Murtiyaan
- Match box
- Panchamrit (Mixture of Milk, Curd, Honey, Sugar, Ghee)
- Plates / Trays (Stainless steel/plastic) for keeping the Pooja Material
- Pure Ghee, Curd, Honey, Pure Water ( Ganga Jal)
- Roli Kalawaa, Attar – (Scent)
- Sankha – Conch
- Sesame oil /Mustard oil
- Thaaliyan 3
- Turmeric Powder
- Utensil/Bowl (½ Gallon) (Stainless Steel/Plastic) for keeping used water
- Vandanvaar for entrance Gate
- Vastra (new cloth) for Laxmi & Ganesh
Diwali Pujan Vidhi/Diwali Laxmi Pooja 2014
- Clean the place where Diwali puja will be perform
- On a raised platform spread a new cloth.
- Place a handful of grains in the centre and, on this, place a kalash, lotta (pitcher). Fill three-fourth of the kalash with water and place a betel nut, a flower, a coin, and some rice grains in it.
- Arrange five kinds of leaves or mango leaves in the kalash .
- Place a small dish on the kalash and fill it with rice grains.
- Draw a lotus with turmeric powder ( haldi ) over the rice grains and place the idol of goddess Lakshmi over it, along with coins.
- In front of the kalash , on the right (South-West direction), place the idol of Ganesha.
- After placing the idol ganesha place ink and books related to your business or occupation on the platform.
- Light a deepak (lamp) and the Agarbatti (incense sticks) begin the puja by offering haldi, kumkum , and flowers to the platform on which the kalash is placed.
- Sprinkle this holi water (ganga jal) on all puja utensils to purify them.
- Make a Panchamitra with 5 ingredients of milk, curd, ghee(clarified butter), sugar & honey.
- Start with Ganesh Pujan by reciting Ganesh Mantras and Ganesh aarti. Offer a garland to the god.
- Offer flowers and make an offering of sweets, coconut and fruits.
- Now invoke goddess Laxmi by reciting the Laxmi mantras.
- Offer the flowers to the idol.
- Place the idol of Lakshmi in a plate and bathe it with water, panchamrit and then with water containing some gold ornament or a pearl.
- Wipe the idol clean and place it back on the kalash . Alternately, you can just sprinkle water and panchamrit on the idol with a flower.
- Offer sandal paste, haldi, kumkum, to the goddess.
- Offer a garland to the goddess. Offer flowers and make an offering of sweets, coconut and fruits.
- Then worship the ink and business books. Open the first page of each book and write ” Shubha Labh ” on it and draw a Swastika in the clockwise direction.
- Wash all your gold and silver coins with water, panchamrit and then with water
- Make an offering of puffed rice and batasha to the Gods.
- Finally, perform the aarti for goddess Laxmi and the universal aarti.
- At the end distribute the prasad to all members present and they have something for you.
- Now touch the feet of all the elder members of family.
- Now light the lamps and candles all around the house. No corner of the house should be left in darkness.
After performing the Diwali Puja Laxmi Ji Aarti is sung by the whole family members.
Diwali Puja Mantra
You can chant the Diwali puja mantra or Laxmi mantra during Diwali puja or after Laxmi Puja
Diwali Pooja Mantra
Following things Hindus do for Diwali preparation.
- Go shopping. It is customary to buy utensils and ornaments on the first day of Diwali.
- Clean the house and business premises thoroughly before the first Diwali day.
- Decorate the entrance way of the home or office colourful using the traditional motifs of Rangoli designs.
- Burn lamps every night during the festival.
- Light some firecrackers and fireworks.
- Wear new clothes and jewels on Diwali.
- Bake sweets, snacks, and savouries.
- Perform a “Lakshmi pooja”
- Play games or gamble
Diwali Traditions | Diwali Celebration
- Waking up before the crack of dawn
- Performing a puja ceremony
- Looking good is a must, so wear new cloths
- Making sweets, treats and other Diwali food items
- Decorate the homes with flowers
- Decorate houses with lighting
- Deliver best diwali wish
- Meeting with relatives and friends
- Exchanging Gifts And Sweets
- Playing Cards
- Lighting Diyas Or Lamps
- Worshipping Of Cattle
Description line 1: Cricket, cards & more!
Description line 2: Play what you love & win prizes